After spending five weeks the iTouch, I'm overwhelmed and excited with all the apps for education. With my main placement in kindergarten I haven't used it there yet, and am still deciding how I will introduce it to my class. I think one of the story building apps would be great, but only being at the school two days a week and having one iTouch makes it difficult. I would have to figure out away to work with each student or have them work in groups. In a perfect world I would have enough Touches for everyone!
I recently completed the math assignment where I found a math app that teaches multiplying fractions. I was surprised to find it. I have apps on my iPhone, but they're either calendars, news feeds or games. There was a whole world of educational apps that I knew nothing about. Like all free apps I had to root through a lot of fluff to find the good ones. I searched Google for reviews of apps for middle level and actually some good ones.
One thing I've been wondering about is, when using the Touch in the classroom with students do the apps need to be approved by anyone other than the teacher?
Did you check out the apps review sites on the tech wiki? Some are particularly for young learners.
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure that teachers do have discretion over apps in most schools... but someone somewhere likely believes that those decisions should be made by others?