Sunday, November 21, 2010

Is Sudoku Math?


According to Wikipedia, Sudoku is defined as a "logic-based, number-placement puzzle. The objective is to fill a 9×9 grid with digits so that each column, each row, and each of the nine 3×3 sub-grids that compose the grid contains all of the digits from 1 to 9. The puzzle setter provides a partially completed grid, which typically has a unique solution."

To me logic and strategic placement of numbers, is math. However when I started the Sudoku in my favorite magazine, I noticed in big bold letter above the grid "There's no math involved! No need to count or add up!" After I read this I was sadden to think that this tag line would attract people to the game, and then under this, in smaller letters was "just use logic to solve the puzzle."

This brings me to my next question, is logic math? As an undergraduate student I look a logic class and that university counted the class as a math requirement, but my current university did not, and I was required to take an additional math class. Logic was not an easy class, but I find it interesting that this magazine is using logic as though it's the same as "common sense". When I think about people who study logic and people who enjoy Sudoku puzzles, I think of people who are creative, diligent, organized and strategic. All characteristics of mathematicians.

So I found it interesting when I saw a Sudoku puzzle that people were playing without numbers. Next to the image it said, "It should be recognized that we could play the exact same game with 9 different symbols (stars, smiley faces, carrots, whatever) as we do with the numbers 1-9. It is not the numerals that make Sudoku math. Every mathematician can play Sudoku well, even if they don’t like the game. We can think logically and can say “if this and this, then that” without batting an eye. Math and logic are very closely related. Sudoku requires a certain organized thinking that is prominent in mathematics."

No comments:

Post a Comment